Singing Guide: Ed Sheeran with Chris Stapleton & Bruno Mars
Vocal technique, exercises, tips and relevant resources
Embrace Your Unique Voice
One of the keys to Ed Sheeran's success is his raw, unpolished sound. Instead of trying to make his voice sound perfect, Sheeran embraces his unique tone and accentuates its natural imperfections. By doing so, Sheeran creates a sound that's instantly recognizable and deeply authentic.
Develop Your Breath Control
When it comes to singing like Ed Sheeran, breath control is critical. Sheeran's singing style is marked by long, sustained notes that require uncommon breath control. To develop this skill, concentrate on breathing from your diaphragm instead of your chest. Try to inhale and exhale slowly, and breathe from your stomach, not your chest.
Practice Singing in Mixed Voice
Ed Sheeran is known for his mixed voice, which blends the resonant quality of head voice with the power of chest voice. This technique enables him to hit high notes while maintaining his ground tone and make his low notes sound full and rich.
Master Vocal Dynamics
Another hallmark of Sheeran's singing style is his adept use of dynamics. By changing the volume of his voice, Sheeran creates a rich tapestry of emotion and expression in his music. To sing like Sheeran, practice transitioning between quiet, intimate vocals and louder, more powerful singing.
Songs That Showcase Ed Sheeran's Vocal Technique
- Perfect: This ballad is a perfect example of Sheeran's emotive singing style, showcasing his voice's depth and intensity in the chorus.
- Shape of You: One of Sheeran's most successful songs, "Shape of You," is characterized by lively rhythms and a toe-tapping melody.
- I Don't Care: A collaboration with Justin Bieber, "I Don't Care" demonstrates Sheeran's high energy and playful side.
Relevant Singing Carrots Resources
- The vocal range test can help you determine which notes you're most comfortable singing.
- If you need a simple way to improve your pitch accuracy, try our pitch accuracy test.
- The vocal pitch monitor is an excellent tool for tracking your pitch as you sing.
- Looking for additional exercises to improve your voice? Check out our pitch training program.
- If you need help finding songs that suit your vocal range, try using our song search tool.
- Discover the vocal ranges of over 5000 famous singers by exploring the artist vocal ranges page.
- Our 21-lesson singing course covers everything from breathing basics to more advanced vocal techniques.
If you're looking to sing like Ed Sheeran, practice mixed voice, breath control and vocal dynamics while embracing your unique voice, and try singing some of his most popular songs. Singing Carrots has many resources available at your disposal, such as our vocal range test, pitch accuracy test, pitch training, artist vocal ranges, and more. So why wait? Start learning to sing like Ed Sheeran today!