Singing Guide: Dance a Little Closer
Vocal technique, exercises, tips and relevant resources
Are you a Broadway musical fan? Do you love sassy and upbeat music? If so, you must be familiar with the iconic voice of Bernadette Peters.
In this article, we will explore the unique vocal technique of Bernadette Peters, a legendary Broadway performer, and share practical advice to help you learn how to sing like her.
Bernadette Peters is known for her incredible range and sweet, warm voice that can easily transition from sweet to sassy to sultry. Her technique is a great example of how to use your head voice effectively while also being able to conjure up a powerful mix.
One of the standout traits of Peterson’s technique is her vibrato. In "Rose's Turn" from the classic musical "Gypsy," she demonstrates her vocal agility and control with a slow, beautiful vibrato that gives the song so much character. Peters is also famous for her ability to hold long notes with power while still maintaining surgical precision in her pitch.
To sing like Bernadette Peters, we recommend that you follow Singing Carrots' range of tools, resources, and exercises that enable practical learning:
- Vocal range test: Before you start with your singing journey, get to know your range and vocal type. That's why Singing Carrots offer many tests that will help you discover your vocal range.
- Pitch accuracy test: Another way to work on your vocal precision is by taking our pitch accuracy test. It will help you assess your pitch accuracy and determine where you need to improve.
- Vocal Training: Practicing with Singing Carrots’ educational singing game, Pitch Training, will allow you to warm up your voice, practice your pitch, and build your agility. Each level builds on the previous level and adds to your skills.
- Find songs by vocal range: Once you know your vocal range, you can use Singing Carrots to browse songs that are suitable for your voice, like the songs that Bernadette Peters is famous for.
To learn Bernadette Peters' unique vocal technique, here are some more tips:
- Breath control: To maintain power throughout a song, Peters uses strong breath control. Breathing exercises and breath support training is key to developing Peters' unique singing style. Learn more about breath support with this Singing Carrots article: Breath support.
- Belting: One of Peters' signature vocal techniques is her powerful belting. But effective belting isn't just about how loudly you can sing, it's also about resonance. Our Singing Carrots article on Resonance in Singing will teach you how to achieve Peters-like resonance in your singing.
- Vibrato: Bernadette Peters' singing is known to be a wonderful example of the vibrato technique. Our Singing Carrots article on Singing with Vibrato explains the technique more in-depth.
- Enunciation: Bernadette Peters' impactful singing is not just about her vocal strength, but also about her enunciation. You can master this technique by following the Singing Carrots article on Articulation.
We hope these resources and tips will help you learn how to sing like Bernadette Peters. The Singing Carrots platform is designed to help you learn, develop, and enhance your singing skills, so take advantage of this and keep practicing until you achieve your desired results.