Singing Guide: Soda Stereo
Vocal technique, exercises, tips and relevant resources
Learning to sing like Soda Stereo's Gustavo Cerati requires mastering several vocal techniques. Cerati was a pioneer of the Argentine rock scene and is known for his expressive voice that ranges from deep and rich to high and ethereal. Here are some key techniques to focus on:
- Breath Control: One of the secrets to Cerati's sustained vocal prowess was his strong foundation in breath control. It is essential to sing with a full voice while avoiding jaw tension or constriction in the upper chest. To improve your breath control, try Singing Carrots' breath support exercises and Farinelli breathing video.
- Vocal Registers: Cerati was skilled at using his chest voice, which is the lower range of the voice, as well as falsetto, which is a breathier, higher register. He also mixed these registers for a seamless sound. Discover your own vocal registers with the Singing Carrots vocal range test and learn more about voice registers with their article.
- Pitch Accuracy: Cerati's vocal pitch was generally on point, which is a hallmark of good singing. Practice your pitch accuracy with Singing Carrots' pitch accuracy test and enjoy an interactive pitch training with their Pitch Training Game.
- Articulation: Clarity in articulation is important, particularly when conveying lyrics. To enhance your articulation, Singing Carrots' Finger Bite Exercise specifically targets the muscles responsible for proper tongue positioning.
- Vibrato: Gustavo Cerati was skilled in the use of vibrato – a slight quiver in pitch that adds warmth and character to the sound. You can learn how to sing with vibrato to add a similar expressive quality to your vocals.
- Song Selection: Some of Soda Stereo's most famous songs are La Ciudad de la Furia, De Musica Ligera, and Zoom. Try to discern the unique vocal attributes used in each song and incorporate them into your own style.
Remember that it takes time to master these vocal techniques, but with consistent practice and perseverance, you can learn to sing like Gustavo Cerati and add your own unique flair. Good luck!