Singing Guide: Saving Abel
Vocal technique, exercises, tips and relevant resources
If you want to learn how to sing like Jared Weeks, the lead singer of Saving Abel, you should start by analyzing his dynamic vocal technique and emotional performance style.
Jared Weeks has a distinctive style that blends hard rock, Southern rock, and country vocal influences. His signature sound is characterized by his ability to transition seamlessly between a deep, rich chest voice and a piercing, soaring high register.
To develop a similar vocal range and power, you can use Singing Carrots' pitch training. This tool provides interactive vocal exercises for developing pitch accuracy, range, and agility. You can also use the vocal range test and search for songs that match your vocal range, difficulty, and genre preference.
When it comes to singing like Jared Weeks, here are a few practical tips to keep in mind:
- Breathing: Practice active and passive breathing to develop breath support. This is key to maintaining powerful and dynamic vocal control throughout a song.
- Articulation: Use articulation exercises to improve your clarity of speech, which is essential when you're singing heavy rock songs with intense lyrics.
- Posture: Maintain good posture to keep your breath support strong and your vocal cords healthy. Use Singing Carrots' guide to how posture can affect your singing.
- Emotion: Jared Weeks is known for his emotional performances. To sing like him, you need to be able to connect with the lyrics and deliver them with intense emotion. Check out Singing Carrots' article on singing with intuition, skills, emotion, and thinking for more tips on embodying your performance.
Here are a few Saving Abel songs that showcase Jared Weeks' unique vocal style:
- "Addicted": This hard rock anthem is perhaps Saving Abel's most iconic song. It features a soaring, catchy chorus that showcases Weeks' impressive range.
- "18 Days": Another high-energy rock song that highlights Weeks' powerful vocals. The song features a mix of high and low notes, making it a good choice for practicing transitions between vocal registers.
- "Miss America": This rock ballad is a good showcase of Weeks' emotional vocal delivery. Structured around a simple acoustic riff, the song builds to an intense climax that allows Weeks to show off his vocal range and dynamism.
Singing like Jared Weeks isn't easy, but with Singing Carrots' resources and these practical tips, you'll be well on your way to developing a powerful and distinctive vocal style.